Sunday, October 9, 2011

~ Silver Treasures ~

A couple of weeks ago I played "hookie" from the shop to take Mr. P for a drive. He'd been cooped up in the house seemed like forever. The fall days are just too nice to stay inside. We took off and ended up in a couple of antique stores a short distance from us. He walked around for a bit, then headed to the truck for a rest, bless his heart his legs just won't carry him for long periods of time.
The first store didn't net me anything. Right next door was another antique store, I asked if he felt like sitting for just a bit longer before heading back home, he said he was fine to take my time. :-)) I sauntered through the first 3 or 4 rows and didn't find a single thing that really screamed take me home. A couple of rows over I hit the jack pot! A booth that was closing out and everything was 50% off ! Yippee!! Right smack dab in the middle was a shelf full of silver. Now I didn't get greedy and take everything. I did however end up with 4 beautiful pieces. Very dirty, but I could sure see the potential !
Can you see the potential? I could barely contain myself. lol

I brought them outside the next day, so I could bring their true beauty out.
Ta-Dah!
Can you say sparkle? With each stroke I took with the polishing rag I smiled even more.

Even the dried hydrangeas look gorgeous against the beauty of the sparkling
 silver. :-))
Gorgeous!!!

The shine almost blinds you now, I'm so in love with these purchases.

Even the ornate legs and feet cleaned up well.
~ From This ~
~ To This ~ 
What did I give for these beauties? $18.00. I would say "bargain". As we were leaving Mr. P wanted to know if we would stop at the ice cream place at the foot of the hill. You see this ice cream place has been there for as long as I can remember, famous for it's malts and ice cream cones. I assured him many times that I would stop. After stopping and getting his pecan malt and myself a small chocolate ice cream cone, we headed for home. After only driving about 3 miles or so this is what happened next.....


So... as the story goes, one shouldn't play hookie. My "bargain" of silver turned out to be very expensive, I ended up having to buy 4 new tires. :-((

22 comments:

PAT said...

Sorry to hear about those tires!!

It was a good day to play hooky, You found that wonderful silver and Mr P had a wonderful day out!

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

Lynne, your new silver is gorgeous! I love that pitcher. What a great buy.

I was heading to an antique sale one Saturday and the same thing happened to me on a very busy freeway. I was able to pull off to the side, but then waited for TWO hours for the roadside service guy to get there. Yes, I probably could've changed it myself, but I also probably could've been killed by one of the crazy drivers out there. We ended up having to buy new tires too, which was not in the budget. After all of that, I never did make it to the sale and do think of how much it cost me too!

Sorry about the big expense, but congrats on the great buys and ice cream prior to that. :)

Have a great day.
Pam

Gloria said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about your tire! I have an SUV also, and I know the tires are expensive. I had to get new ones myself a while back. But you did get lovely silver pieces! And you cleaned them beautifully! Use them in good health. :)
Best,
Gloria

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

The silver is fabulous!!! The tires? Not so much! I am so glad that ya'll were not hurt and didn't have an accident!

Lou Cinda

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Ouch! Sorry about the tires. :( Glad you were not going at a high speed when that blew.
You really did good on the silver - I also prefer it polished.:)
Weather beautiful here today - went out to put out a little Fall decor by the back door, but the squirrels are dining and dropping shells right now, so will have to wait til they finish their dinner. :D

Salmagundi said...

Sorry about the tires - I hate that kind of expense. I do love your silver - I'm from the old school, as I love my silver polished! Have a good week. Sally

Dolores said...

What a beautiful bargain.....amazing price for these beauties.

You needed new tires anyway......and you needed a day away....I think you came out ahead.

Linda said...

Oh my...4 new tires...ouch! But the silver is really beautiful!!

Sue said...

Lynne, I've been living with slightly tarnished silver lately, but seeing yours all shiny and pretty has inspired me to get out the cleaner and polish and put a little elbow grease into my pieces! LOL Tomorrow, though.... this IS the weekend, after all! Liked your pun on my "Warm" entryway. It does get hot in the foyer, btw!
:-) Sue

Babs said...

OMGosh! That silver was a steal and so gorgeous. Love the details. I like my silver polished, too.
Sorry about the tire, but glad you're both all right.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love your silver and wow it cleaned up perfectly. So sorry about the flat. Looks like it exploded!

Miss Char said...

Oh my heart be still, I love your new shiny bargains. Silver always sends me into happiness.

At least no one was hurt with the blown tire. Ice cream and silver can off set most anything!

Allison Shops said...

I'm glad the tire didn't cause an accident. That looks really bad! But wow! Love the silver. Great bargains!

Dropping by from BNOTP.

Allison
Atticmag
Hidden Laundry

Karena said...

Lynne, so sorry to hear about the tires.

However!! Yay the silver is gorgeous!! I especially love the pitcher!

I would love your thoughts on my Autumn decor so far, oh and I have a new giveaway as well!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Elaine said...

Lynne,
Yes, your flat tire may seem like payback, but you were driving on bad tires and thank goodness you weren't hurt. What gorgeous treasures you found! I would have to say they are blindingly beautiful!

Paula@SweetPea said...

Sorry about your tires. At least it happened on a nice day and you weren't alone. Now you can rest easy knowing you have four new tires.

Your silver finds are really pretty. A little polish and elbow grease brought out the beauty of these pieces. Enjoy!

Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G said...

$18 dollars...you did get a deal!!! And a beautiful one too! The pieces are all beautiful, but I love the pitcher the best! It made my heart jump! :)

So sorry about your tires! Just think, the blow-out might have happened on the way to work in the next few days, and you would have been stranded alone. So just maybe, the timing was a blessing. :)

Nancy's Notes said...

Sorry about those tires, but glad you have good and new tires now. Oh my, your pieces of silver are truly such treasures! I'm a new follower and happy I found your great blog!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

So sorry your lovely day was spoiled :-(

The silver is so pretty all polished up. I think I have that same pitcher and tray! Mine have probably turned dark too. It's amazing what a little silver polish and a rag can do!

I hope all is well now.

Katherine

Honey at 2805 said...

Great silver pieces and they shined up beautifully! Like you, I can always see through the tarnish! My DIL brought over a teaset that she said she has had for years and thought it was in too bad condition to polish. She was a surprised and happy gal when she left!

Sorry about the tires, but happy no one was hurt.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Simply gorgeous! 4 new tires or not...you might as well have gotten some pleasure out of the day. YOU definitely got a bargain!! As you might know..I am always on the hunt for some pretty silver..silver plate is just fine with me.
The new tires were going to have to happen anyway...so your silver is just a wonderful plus.

It simply sparkles just like you! :)
Hugs,
Mona

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

I'm so sorry about your tire--that looks awful! But you must've SKIPPED out of that store with those great pieces at such a fabulous price! And they turned out absolutely great! There's something about silver.... :)